Can You Freeze Goat Cheese? Here’s How to Do It Right
Goat cheese is a popular cheese that is low in fat and calories, and has a rich and flavorful taste. It is often used in salads, appetizers, and desserts. But what happens when you have too much goat cheese? Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze goat cheese! Freezing goat cheese is a great way to extend its shelf life and save money. When frozen properly, goat cheese can last for up to 6 months.
How to Freeze Goat Cheese
Here are the steps on how to freeze goat cheese:
- Choose the right type of goat cheese. Not all goat cheeses are created equal. Some goat cheeses, such as fresh goat cheese, are not suitable for freezing. For best results, freeze hard goat cheeses, such as chèvre or feta.
- Prepare the goat cheese. If you are freezing spreadable goat cheese, you can leave it in its original container. If you are freezing solid goat cheese, you will need to cut it into smaller pieces. This will help the goat cheese freeze more evenly.
- Wrap the goat cheese tightly. To prevent freezer burn, wrap the goat cheese tightly in plastic wrap. You can also place the wrapped goat cheese in a freezer bag.
- Label the goat cheese. Be sure to label the goat cheese with the date of freezing so you know how long it has been in the freezer.
- Freeze the goat cheese. Place the wrapped goat cheese in the freezer.
Here are some tips for freezing goat cheese:
- For best results, freeze goat cheese within 2 days of purchase.
- Avoid freezing goat cheese that is already moldy or has an off-odor.
- Do not refreeze thawed goat cheese.
How to Thaw Frozen Goat Cheese
To thaw frozen goat cheese, simply remove it from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, the goat cheese can be used as usual.
Here are some tips for thawing frozen goat cheese:
- Do not thaw goat cheese at room temperature. This can increase the risk of bacterial growth.
- If you are in a hurry, you can thaw goat cheese in the microwave. However, be sure to thaw it on a low setting and stir it frequently to prevent it from becoming unevenly thawed.
How to Use Frozen Goat Cheese
Frozen goat cheese can be used in any recipe that calls for goat cheese. However, it is important to note that the texture of the goat cheese may be slightly different after it has been frozen. If you are using frozen goat cheese in a recipe where the texture is important, such as a cheesecake, you may want to thaw it first.
Freezing goat cheese is a simple way to extend its shelf life and save money. By following these simple steps, you can enjoy goat cheese for months to come.
Here are some additional tips for freezing goat cheese:
- If you are freezing spreadable goat cheese, you can also place it in an airtight container.
- To prevent freezer burn, try to remove as much air as possible from the freezer bag or container before sealing it.
- Label the freezer bag or container with the date of freezing so you know how long it has been frozen.
I hope this article helps you learn how to freeze goat cheese properly. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.